When booking a newborn photographer, ask these questions!
You’ll love this blog post if you’re looking for a newborn photographer! Picking a photographer should be something you do early on. Picking a photographer can be fun! Each photographer is different, and there are so many options to suit every style and budget. Here are some questions you might want to ask a newborn photographer. It’s important to pick the right newborn photographer.
- How much do you charge? Parents can easily think all newborn photographers are the same. I assure you, they’re not! Photographs aren’t cheap. Each image takes time, effort, planning, and creativity, and you get what you pay for. Look for a professional and a newborn photographer who specializes in newborns. When someone is good at their job, and in demand, their prices will reflect that. There’s a cost to custom photography. Make sure you ask your photographer how their fees are structured. There are some photographers who charge an all-inclusive rate. Other products are a la carte, so there will be a session fee plus fees for digital images and prints.
- Do you have minimum spending threshold? To secure our slot in their schedule, most photographers will ask for a deposit up front. Usually, the deposit isn’t refundable. Also, most photographers have a minimum spend threshold. Make sure you ask before booking!
- What’s your location? Think about how far you’re willing to travel. A photographer might have caught your eye and you’re happy to travel an hour or more to see them. If you don’t want to leave the house, find an in-home photographer. Home visits are offered by some photographers, but make sure you ask if there are any extra charges. You might prefer a studio session. Find out where the studio is and how much parking there is. What kind of training do you have?
- Do you specialize in newborn photography? There’s no regulation for newborn photography right now. Therefore, newborn photographers don’t need any specific qualifications to start their business. Therefore, even a novice photographer with no experience handling babies could set up shop and market themselves as a newborn photographer! Sadly, this happens a lot. It’s possible for a photographer to harm your baby without the right training. Make sure you use a reputable, experienced, and professionally trained photographer. Make sure you do your own extensive research before you book if you don’t have a recommendation.
- How safe posing is done? Your baby shouldn’t be forced into positions that make them uncomfortable or put them in danger. A baby should never be suspended or put in a basket or box that could topple over. It’s important that the baby is relaxed and comfortable at all times. Find a photographer who has a track record of satisfied customers and high standards of professionalism.
- How many years of experience do you have? Experience is also important. Experienced newborn photographers know how to handle babies. Having worked with tens or hundreds of babies, they’ll know how to pose your baby safely and comfortably, and how to soothe even the most unsettled babies.You might be surprised at how easily they can lull your baby to sleep!
- Is there a particular age of baby you like to work with? Make sure the photographer you’re considering has a preference on the baby’s age. Some photographers may have a preference since after a couple of weeks, babies start sleeping less and stretching out more. Some photographers prefer babies under two weeks old so they can get those popular curled up baby poses. There are others who will be happy to take babies in much older than this, sometimes up to 8 weeks old, with the proviso that these shots might not be possible.
- Does your photographer work with premature babies, who may be smaller than average? Maybe this won’t matter in your case until after the birth, but it’s a good question to ask just in case.
- Is it okay if I have some expectations? There may be newborn photos you’ve seen that you’d love a photographer to create for you. Make sure you talk about it before the shoot so you’re on the same page. Is your photographer able to do that pose?
- How long does it take to see my pictures? It’s normal for photographers to spend time editing and perfecting your photos after a session, and they should be able to tell you when you can see a gallery to choose from. Talk to your photographer if you want your images fast and find out what’s possible.
- What’s your availability for my due date? Popular newborn photographers are booked months in advance. you don’t want to find the perfect photographer only to discover they’re unavailable afterward. Make sure you book early to avoid disappointment.
You should consider these factors before choosing your newborn photographer. Then you can be sure that your photographer will deliver photos you’ll treasure for a lifetime, and an experience you’ll appreciate.
Are you looking for the best newborn baby photographer near you?
Are you looking for some of the best newborn baby photographers in your area? Let us help! Please find a link to help you find some of the best newborn photographers in the United States!